Questo post è disponibile anche in: Italian, Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), French, Ukrainian

The permit has a maximum duration of one year. The permit is renewable every year in case of courses that last several years.

In case of university courses, it is necessary to pass at least one exam during the first year in order to enrol in the second year, and at least two exams to enrol in the following years.

With the study permit it is possible to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

The permit is renewable at Post Offices through a Postal Kit. The Kit contains two forms, Mod 1 and Mod 2. It is necessary to fill in Mod 1. If in possession of a job, it is also possible to fill in Mod 2.

The Kit also contains instructions, but if necessary it is possible to ask for help at the information points placed  throughout the territory by associations, aid societies…

The Kit is to be mailed at the actual Post Offices. It is necessary to show up with residence permit, passport or equivalent document.


  • copy of the residence permit in expiry; copy of passport (only the pages indicting personal data, visas and the State’s territory entrance and exit stamps); copy of any documents proving self-support; copy of undergraduate’s record book with undergone exams (in case of enrolment at University); copy of enrolment at school, University, etc; copy of health insurance.


  • 16.00 Euro revenue stamp
  • 27.50 Euro receipt of occurred payment for the issuing of electronic residence permits
    … to which it is necessary to add
  • residence permit tax equal to: 80.00 Euros for residence permits lasting more than three months and less than or equal to one year; (one part of the receipt must be included in the Kit, the other part must be kept);
  • 30.00 Euros to be paid at the Post Office for mailing expenses.


In case of children under 14 years of age, it is necessary to include in the Kit also a copy of their passport and residence permit.

If the minor is being inserted for the first time on the parent’s residence permit, it is necessary to provide also:

  • photocopy of the minor’s passport (only the pages indicating personal data, renewal stamps, visas);
  • copy of birth certificate indicating maternity/paternity (translated and legalised, or with apostille, if coming from another State).
  • authorization of one parent to insert the child on the other parent’s residence permit.

The employee at the Post Office will issue a receipt. This receipt is very important: together with the expired residence permit it is valid as a normal residence permit. It is necessary so as to exit Italy while waiting for the new permit and to verify if it is ready by visiting the websites: (Area Reserved for Foreign Citizens), or With this receipt it is possible to sign an employment contract, a lease contract or any other contract, as well as to apply for residence and health card (tessera sanitaria). The Post Office will also set an appointment with the offices at the Questura for finger print taking and to provide photographs. When going to the Questura, it is necessary to provide the original documents of the copies mailed in the Kit.